Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Considering ditching my fuel cell

Just like the title says I'm seriously considering ditching my Fuel Safe Fuel Cell in my 70 mustang. Am I being foolish?

Realistically what am I using the car for?
      - the occasional track day (HPDE / non competitive)
      - Occasionally events like LS Fest or optima
      - 1000 ish miles per year of street driving. (wish it was more)
      - I have literally done only one event since the car has been finished.

Is my car safer with the Fuel cell?
      - the bladder has been expired for quite some time.....how long be fore it leaks?
      - the bladder isn't rated for ethanol, and I'm not always able to find ethanol free fuel.
      - the stock fill location is still connected to the fuel cell and I suspect in a rear impact fuel would be squeezed out the back of the car through the filler neck....or worse, the neck would rip off the tank and fuel would be inside the car.
      - I live in an extremely hot and dry climate which probably isn't helping an aging fuel cell bladder.

And then there is the cost piece of it:
      - the replacement bladder is 2x more expensive than I bought the whole fuel cell for. for that kind of money, I would probably switch to a different fuel cell because the mustang specific cell has a sloped rear that is very conducive to fuel starvation.
      - Fuel safe has a different bladder that does hold up to ethanol, and despite having a certification that expires, the bladder should last as long as any OEM plastic tank would. this option is still very expensive.
      - a fuel injection version of the original steel tank is available for a few hundred bucks. I would probably run a surge tank in addition to this, but still cheaper overall.

I'm not running the car in any events that require certifications. So, I really don't want to own components that have to be replaced every 5 years. Am I being foolish by thinking that I should just go back to a steel tank?

Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Country Flag: United States
      I'd just go back to a regular tank if you're not doing competitive events, and if fuel starvation is an issue Holley makes something called a Hydramat which is supposed to draw fuel in from everywhere.

2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com