Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Wide tires 69 Cutlass

Hi new here, I’m looking at buying a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and I want to put wide tire on all 4 corner, my question is how wide can I go… I see a lot of 285 on the rear and around 255 front. Has anybody squared up there cutlass and if so what was the tire width?

Country Flag: Canada
      you can do 315s depending on offset and how low you go to put 315s on the front you do need to rework about 12 ..15 inches of the inner wheel well where it bolts to the fender . of course anything narrower can fit that much better . normal guy scale daily driven 275 or 285 fit all day
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by PatinaManDan View Post
      Hi new here, I’m looking at buying a 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and I want to put wide tire on all 4 corner, my question is how wide can I go… I see a lot of 285 on the rear and around 255 front. Has anybody squared up there cutlass and if so what was the tire width?
      Hopefully someone with a 69 will chime in. I believe the ability to put wide tires on the 68/69 is different due to the fender well opening. You might want to specify your wheel diameter also JIC someone has knowledge. I have a 72 so I would not want to give misinformation.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Oldsmobeast is running 315 Square, I attached a link to his youtube video below where he goes over specs. I think 285s are pretty attainable without having to do a bunch of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVVxbwcH68

Yes 68/69 don't have as much room as 70-72.

The OP posted this on an Oldsmobile forum as well, here is my copy/paste reply for those interested.

Depending on how low the ride height is, and how much caution you want to use while driving... will determine how wide you can go up front.

I ran 255/45/18 up front for years with no issues with about 2-3" lowered suspension. It would rub the sway bar just a touch reversing out of my driveway at full lock.

You could run 275 square, but the front may cause issues if you're lowered. If it's not lowered, I think (personal opinion) a 275/40 up front will look goofy due to the wheel gap and low profile tire. If you don't mind being extra cautious when driving, then you could go for it.

275 in the back is easy, 285 is getting a little snug and will require proper offset. 295 is doable but everything has to be right. Even worn out rubber bushings will allow the rear end to move around and may rub the quarter panel lip or tail pipes.

I'm currently running 245/45/18 on 8" wheel up front, and 285/40/18 on a 10" wheel in the back. Car is lowered about 2-3" overall.Name:  IMG_3723.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  564.8 KB

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com