Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Do you ever just hate your car???

Hey guys,

There are days I think swapping my 70 mustang out for a C6 Z06 and calling it a day is a good decision. Yes, I would miss the attention at the gas station and the sheer rawness of the car but today I hate my car.

I have been working on the car nonstop for the last couple years since I have bought it. If I listed the amount of work i have done it would be 50 lines deep, yet the car still isn't nearly as good as it should be. The brakes are manual and they suck, I won't be able to do track days with the car with manual brakes. I thought the pads might be glazed so I swapped the pads out yesterday but the car doesn't stop much better than it did. The gear vendors quick working...again. The transmission leaks, the rear main seal is leaking, the geometry on the front end is off so it bump steers and wears the inside of the front tires. It needs a tune, I have a coolant leak as of last week and now its puking coolant which makes me think I have a blown head gasket. the list goes on and on. It's now personal. I will get the above items ironed out and I will force this car into something enjoyable to drive and own, but the idea of owning a realiable sports car is really appealing.

There are days where I love the car...and then there is today...

Country Flag: United States
      Days like this are why there aren't many cars like yours on the road. There are less people that are willing to deal with the ongoing problems. On the other hand, most people I know that had a car like that they sold them for something more modern and reliable regret it....

So we have two hot rods. Our car show short distance hot rod is a 80 Camaro with a LS3 swap. All new suspension and C5 brakes. A true 28k mile cream puff. I am the second owner. Our long distance hot rod is a 20 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible. The Camaro is nut and bolt resto and goes down the road quite nicely.
      But the Mustang is so far ahead of the Camaro driving wise you really can't compare.
      Maybe keep the Mustang and go for the Corvette? So as we do maybe a short and long distance hot rod?

I've gone back and forth on this a few times. I've chased brake problems, I've gone through 2 transmissions and any number of miscellaneous issues to the point where I've considered selling my car and getting a 911, or newer GT350. The thing I keep thinking about is #1 will I ever be able to buy this car or something similar again and build it up to what it is now. The answer for me is no, I'm just not at a point in my life where I can dedicate that much time again. And #2 is a new sports car/muscle car going to give me the same feeling I get when I fire up that V8 and get after it, I just can't shake the idea that it won't ultimately be what I was looking for and my old car was long gone. You in the doldrums right now, it takes several years for most guys to work out the kinks once a car is done or close to done. You'll figure it all out and it will be exactly the way you want it and you'll enjoy it more than if you gave up on it. It just takes a while.

Sometimes projects go sideways when guys dive into them without a solid plan. Make a plan and execute.

I’m also not a big believer in the drive while you restore strategy. I prefer to tear them down and rebuild them properly. Much better end result usually for less cost.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I can tell you the 20 Mustang is not slow and the exhaust note is just about perfect. A bit loud on start up but zero drone cruising. The heated and cooled seat are super nice. You could easily put a 1000 miles on it in a long day and it won't hurt you a bit.
      But my current 80 Camaro is a car that I wish I could of had in 1980. It stops well, brakes well and handles well. And is fun to drive. But 1000 miles in a day? It could do it but it would not be nearly as nice as the Mustang.

that is "hot rod" for you...if it were easy, everyone would be doing it

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com