Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

It's just about ready, - Camaro rear subframe

For all the guys who have been asking about how close we are to being finished with the Camaro rear subframe. It's just about done!
      Fully welded rear 2X4 subframe to replace the stock unibody rails, Tri 4-bar, housing, etc. that FITS UNDER THE STOCK FLOOR! You can even keep the stock fuel tank. Pricing isn't finalized yet, but I just wanted to show a couple pics.

Last edited by CraigMorrison; 05-02-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Country Flag: United States
      First Gen only?

--JMarsa

Nice stuff Craig. 3 link version coming soon? Is that a DSE mini tub back there?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Very nice,

Any chance that fits a 71 nova? I am ready to do my rear suspension. Just installed Dse coilover speed kit 3. Would this compliment the front suspesion?

looks great!
      Colin Russ

Nice job!
      One issue I see is, the best /only site for mufflers is under the rear seat area and your crossmember is blocking the front of it, and the lower link is in the way.
      I'd think about locating the lower trailing link mounts tight inside the frame rail coming off the shock mount area on the rear axle and making the crossmember smaller height in the middle. The frame rail can be the outer side of the lower link bracket and you only need one tab on the inside to make it double shear.
      2"X4" seems like overkill on a unibody Camaro, why not 2"X3"?
      David
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 05-03-2008 at 11:19 AM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I can't believe we aren't getting more comments!
      I edited the thread title to show a little more info.
      David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

maybe its the shock and awe sh*** another thing to save for factor? LOL
      2x4 is over kill but when you got it growing in trees, its what you use. More room for notching.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

After being under mine half my life for the last month....I agree with Pozzi. All we need is less room to roam underneath. Looks like a fantastic setup for handling and structural integrity. For a street car it doesn't look so convenient where you want to run 3 inch pipe all the way to the ass end. Maybe he has a solution.
      Todd

i agree, the mufflers will hang way down because of the front crossmember, looks strong.

David,
      2x4 was used simply for our ability to bend this material to the shape we want. It is somewhat overkill for most of us, but we still went with it for two reasons:
      1. Strength. We get so many calls from people who claim to be making 700+hp, and some actually do.
      2. Strength vs. mass ratio. The 2x4 is sooo much stronger with just a minimal increase in mass. Plus, all that weight is low in the the back...right where it needs to be.

Concerning exhaust: We agree and have made changes since the photo. That's the beauty of this community, everybody caught that problem right when we did. Luckily, we've already orchistrated changes to allow 3" exhaust down the tunnel (the way you normally would in these cars) near the driveshaft. This allows the mufflers to be placed in between the housing and crossmember. It's tight, but it works! Oval tubing is always an option as well, but definitely not required (it's expensive!).

This clip looks very much at home in the back of this car...like the way it should have been from the factory.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick
      Nice stuff Craig. 3 link version coming soon? Is that a DSE mini tub back there?
      There will be a 3-link sub in the offering as well, but because of the suspension, it won't fit under the floor. That's why we have a choice between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1 nova
      Very nice,

Any chance that fits a 71 nova? I am ready to do my rear suspension. Just installed Dse coilover speed kit 3. Would this compliment the front suspesion?
      This clip is for '67-9 F-bodies only.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by silver69camaro
      This clip is for '67-9 F-bodies only.
      It's your business, but it seems like selling ice cream to only kids with red hair, blue eyes, no freckles, mom's an accountant and dad's a teacher. You get the point.

--JMarsa

Tear...I thought that the 68-72 Novas would be exactly the same as a 67-69 Camaro!

How many degrees of articulation before this installation incurs any bind? Also, this kit vs. the 3 link in development, what is the weight difference?

Quote Originally Posted by JMarsa
      It's your business, but it seems like selling ice cream to only kids with red hair, blue eyes, no freckles, mom's an accountant and dad's a teacher. You get the point.

--JMarsa
      Keep in mind that we custom make clips like this every day for all sorts of cars, just more fab work is required since we haven't used our Faro arm for mapping out the floor. It's a vehicle specific product, just like our Tri5 chassis, C1 Vette chassis or DSE's Camaro tubs.

That looks awesome!
      Wayne
      1967 Camaro - Done!
      1968 Camaro - Underway

Quote Originally Posted by Balance_Point
      How many degrees of articulation before this installation incurs any bind? Also, this kit vs. the 3 link in development, what is the weight difference?
      Typically with our Triangulated 4-bar system, the housing can rotate 8 degrees until bind force can be detected. For those of you who may think this isn't much, keep in mind the body will roll less than 4 degrees during a 1g cornering situation.

Weight difference is negliable. The 3-link will be about 3lbs heavier due to the watts link and support hoop.
      Last edited by silver69camaro; 05-08-2008 at 05:35 AM.
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by silver69camaro
      Typically with our Triangulated 4-bar system, the housing can rotate 8 degrees until bind force can be detected. For those of you who may think this isn't much, keep in mind the body will roll less than 4 degrees during a 1g cornering situation.

Weight difference is negliable. The 3-link will be about 3lbs heavier due to the watts link and support hoop.
      Thank you for the reply.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com