Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ridetech Tru-Turn with big block

Hi Guys,
      Does anyone know if you can install the Tru-Turn kit in a 68 camaro with a big block? I have the kit which is very nice, but no way it with fit with the headers. Maybe with custom made headers, but just wanted to see if anyone has gone this route. All I've seen is SBC and LS setups.

thanks in advance,
      Chuck

Country Flag: United States
      I would bolt it all up and see where your clearance issues are if you already have the kit.

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Only clearance issue that was obvious was one tube on the passenger side. The current tie rod touches it at full lock so the raised one won't go. I did try to install the new draglink bracket, but couldn't get the tie rods off and didn't want to damage them. Probably pull the passenger header since it will come out with the engine in and see if there is any issue with the driver's header. Oil pan looks fine though. They are lemon headers, but might be able to have them altered instead of having a whole new set made. I bought a different tie rod press and will give that a go. I'm in the UK, so hard to find good tools that work on american cars, just tiny tools for smaller cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck0379 View Post
      Only clearance issue that was obvious was one tube on the passenger side. The current tie rod touches it at full lock so the raised one won't go. I did try to install the new draglink bracket, but couldn't get the tie rods off and didn't want to damage them. Probably pull the passenger header since it will come out with the engine in and see if there is any issue with the driver's header. Oil pan looks fine though. They are lemon headers, but might be able to have them altered instead of having a whole new set made. I bought a different tie rod press and will give that a go. I'm in the UK, so hard to find good tools that work on american cars, just tiny tools for smaller cars
      My best suggestion would be to install the kit and decided what modifications if any should be made to the headers. I don't see the need to have all new headers made if its just one pipe that need to be re routed.

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Could you take some pictures of the areas of interference? I'm also running Lemon's headers in a 68 Camaro with a 502cid and I just purchased the full ridetech front suspension kit along with their Tru-Turn kit but haven't been able to install it yet. What oil pan are you using? I'm using a Milodon 7qt pan and the tie rods are nowhere near touching that or the headers. Are you running the original frame mounts for the motor mounts? What type of motor mounts are you running? I realize that Lemon's Headers are custom built and one set may not be exactly the same as another set on the same type and year of car, but now you've got me worried. :(

Thanks,
      Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

I'd like to see what you come up with on this as I am going to be running a ZZ502 and full ridetech suspension as well.
      BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Oh dang sounds like a bunch of us could be in the same boat.

I will get some more info up later on, but here's a pic of the drag bracket bolted to the drag link. I will bolt it up and see what or if it hits anything.

Name:  IMG_1704.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  579.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1705.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  173.1 KBName:  IMG_1706.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  111.6 KBName:  IMG_1707.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  149.2 KBName:  IMG_1708.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  120.2 KBName:  IMG_1709.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  159.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1710.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  147.2 KBName:  IMG_1711.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  183.6 KBName:  IMG_1712.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  152.6 KBName:  IMG_1713.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  108.7 KBName:  IMG_1716.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  145.3 KBName:  IMG_1716.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  145.3 KB

Well bad news, but not too bad. Headers are Lemons #BBPT-600 and they hit exhaust tube #3 & #4, but there is room to have them cut and have the bend moved out of the way. I tried to take as many photos of it as I could, but if anyone would like a different pic let me know while it's still on. I will probably leave it in for a week or so until I decide if I will have it all done now or wait. The drag bracket looks to clear the oil pan with a little bit of wiggle room. The oil pan is Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pan 20403. The motor mounts are stock for big block, or I believe to be. They aren't aftermarket or solid. My drag link seam to be worn according to the instructions and the bolt that mount the bracket to the drag link go a bit to far into the drag link or at least that what the instructions say. New one on order though and I'll see if it's any better.

It almost looks like my Lemons headers are slightly different than your set. When I mocked mine up I dont remember having issues on the driver's side. However, the passengers side would definitely hit the tube as you can see in the below pic. Later I had to move my drivetrain back about 1" for unrelated issues. That helped with clearance but sadly still wasn't enough to clear the Tru-Turn. I'll likely end up having the tube modified to fit but emotionally I havent' come to terms with that yet :-). I've got a ways to go and mine is torn back apart at the moment to have the heads flowed. Since different heads locate the exhaust ports differently, I want to make sure these heads are what I'm going with before I start more aggressive surgery to get it to fit.

Here is similar view from driver's side. It might hit as the arm moves through the arc but not sure. I didn't worry too much since I knew at the time the passenger's side was a mess.

Lastly, here is another shot from passenger's side after I moved the drivetrain back. A good bit more clearance but still not enough as I mentioned.

Looks like you have a bit more room to work with than I do. I've contacted a local chassis builder to alter my exhaust so might as well get it all done and over with. I still need to do my chicane coilover conversion as well.

I called Lemons to see if there headers would clear, they said no. If theres room to be had for the clearance its seems like they would offer the provision. They said no.

I'm told that hooker competition headers fit. I'm trying to get a part number.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad94 View Post
      I'm told that hooker competition headers fit. I'm trying to get a part number.
      That's interesting. I called ride tech today and they said Hookers and Dougs wont clear. Keep us posted please.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly jones View Post
      That's interesting. I called ride tech today and they said Hookers and Dougs wont clear. Keep us posted please.

I know of someone with big block and tru turn, and that's what they said they run.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

I e-mailed Dan as well and spoke to another custom header guy in the US and neither one would do it either. I said I would send everything for them to mock up and make a set of headers, but both said no. I got my current lemon headers modified, but they need to go back to moved about 1/2 further back then they will be fine. Cost $500 just to have them cut and tack welded for test fit. Once my shocks arrive I'm just going to send the whole car to the chassis builder have him do the headers and do my alignment and be done with it. Wish there were some engine mounts that moved the engine back an inch, or are there any?. Not to keen on welding the engine mounts stands to the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly jones View Post
      I called Lemons to see if there headers would clear, they said no. If theres room to be had for the clearance its seems like they would offer the provision. They said no.

No matter what you do it won't work. Now just send me the parts and I'll put them to good use. Lol can't wait till I have enough to purchase mine. Good luck and keep us posted.

We run Patriot headers on BB cars with tru turn. They work great. Also help provide better ground clearance.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...9%2B4294896595
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com