Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Front tires hitting fender

Hello guys, it’s been awhile since I have posted. Life just never seems to slow down. A problem arose that I was not expecting. My front tires use to rub when traveling over big bumps. After dealing with this for years and finally realizing a new front set up is not going to financially happen I decided to at least install taller upper ball joints. The rubbing is now worse. The tire hits between the 1-2 o’clock position on the passenger side and 10-11 o’clock position on the drivers side. Is it possible that the taller ball joints put the spindle is a worse position in the camber curve?(which I didn’t think is possible). The following is my setup:
      67 Camaro, big block springs, 2” drop spindles, disc brakes, 17x7 wheel w/ 3-3/4BS, 225/ 50 tire.

How old are the body bushings? Maybe you have a shot one now, therefore lowering the body.

Country Flag: United States
      Check your body bushings, check your frame alignment, and then check your front end alignment. Especially since it's rubbing in different spots.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

A taller upper ball joint can shift the position of the wheel just a bit, and it sounds like it shifted your wheel position forward a bit. Don't suppose you have some side-on pictures you can compare wheel position with, do you?

Your inner wheel wells have some interesting bends inside, so once you check the condition of your mounts I would go find the shiny spots in the wheel well and give them a little BFH massage. Go a little at a time, and spray with paint after so you can find the rubbing spots again if you didn't smack it around enough. Or if they're plastic, a little heat gun action will get you through. You'll want something rather large and metal to gently press into the plastic to help push it into its new position. Oh, and make sure you know what's on the other side of the wheelwell so as to not damage anything else.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Those wheels are about an half inch short on backspacing. Did you get a front end alignment? You will need negative camber, -.5 degrees would be a good target and should improve the rubbing issue. Shoot for 3 to 4 degrees caster if you can get it.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

All body bushings are good.
      @Don, I have not performed a wheel alignment yet, but that was what I was thinking of doing next.
      Thanks.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com