Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

mcss and I life ( The car and I life intro thread )

I'm looking forward to interacting in this forum it’s been a long time since I've been involved back with my car and forums

Quick history on my Ride and I life adventure

The ride- 1985 Monte Carlo SS

How I meet my ride -

I was only 12 working as a newspaper route boy earning money and I was able to save up and I purchased a 1993 Chevy blazer 4 door I was working on that for a while getting it ready for when I could drive it at 16 during the waiting period of 12 to 16 I was at a friend’s relations family party and I see this blue 80s Chevy 4x4 lifted truck and I was asking all about it and the owner was just filling my head with all that done to it. And he said it’s for sale for the right price I'm only 14 at this time thinking I don't have that much money but I ask him if he would want to trade for my Blazer. To my surprise he entertained the deal and after I went home and tried to explain this to my father this deal with the 4x4 truck. My father took me over with the blazer( bc I couldn't drive without a parent at 14) so the seller could see the Blazer after he seen it and was talking with my father they both decided that the blue 4x4 had to much power ( Big Block 450hp ) under the hood for a kids first ride. They were telling me this and in my head, I thought that the deal was dead and I was going home in my Blazer. When the guy says well I have this car over here I will trade you for your Blazer. I was like what car is that and he pulls the cover off and shows me this Monte Carlo SS which I will be honest I didn't know much on this cars at 14. I look at my father for his approval and we looked at the car and chatted with the seller and we ended up driving home the Monte Carlo SS.

The car and I life-

For 1.5 years all I did was clean this car and try my best at tune ups, then I was starting to learn about upgrades or adding more HP mostly form montecarloss forum, Back then it was a great source for info so I saved up for a year I was only 15 still and wanted a bigger engine I found one that needed redone a 400 sbc well after taking it down I found out that it was already bored .060 over and it was not a good core then heads were cracked, the crank was 0.30 under so junked the only good part was the rods but they are an off size so not really worth saving. I got screwed on the deal lost all my paper money between the purchase of the engine and the machines shop bills.
      I was just going to drive it with the stock 305 and keep it clean and original because I did have the funds to upgrade the engine at this point in time. Until I had my 16th birthday and when we came home from the party there was an engine hanging, not joking from the main tree branch that came over the driveway by a chain. My first thought was how in the hell did that get there lol. My birthday gift was hanging in a tree. I guess my neighbor heard about the 400sbc and offered an old 350sbc to my father for a gift.
      Now I'm hooked with getting this Monte Carlo a bigger HP upgrade and rebuilding this 350 which I ended up doing about a year later and installed it in the car with only about 300hp 340 lb ft tq. Not too bad for a high school ride right. I worked on this car on and off because I still had to daily driver it to school and work every day I was now working at a local grocery store and we would do the weekend nighttime drags down the road.
      Time goes by I'm in my junior year and went to prom and I came outside an someone keyed/ screwdriver my car up and down and scratched every panel. Thank god for insurance because they had it all repainted for me. I didn't do much with the car after that due to the down time I had to buy a daily driver until it got painted. After it was painted it was stored for the most part.
      Until I graduated high school and I was working that summer after graduation and then decided to join the Army in 2004 and as you should know we were at war at this time. My mindset was well might as well sell this car because I'm not ever going see it again.
      I sold it to a guy I knew at church as a roller and sold the engine to my friend.
      Off I went in the Army did my first tour from 2005-2007 came back and reenlisted for 4 more years and volunteered for my second tour from 2008-2009.
      After my second tour I came home for a 30 day leave and I ran into the guy that I sold my car to, I asked him what did he end up doing to it and if he still had it. His told me yes he still had it and he put in a 383 sbc and installed a new transmission and wheels and tires the good old street/ strip look and all it does is sit in his garage and is in the way and he wasn't using it anymore it was in storage for like 2 years. We got to talking and we decided that I should buy it back for from him. So I did I bought it and put it at my parents place be I was only home for a few more days. and there it stayed unit I got out of the service in 2012.
      Post army I was now married and had a baby and we moved back home and bought a small house with a nice sized attached garage. and there the Monte Carlo lived I got it all freshened up and we took it to a few car shows everything was great at least I thought until came home one day and the wife and kid were gone.
      short story we divorced but to do so I had to sell the engine out of the car to pay for lawyer fees.

A few years go by and now I'm back on my feet remarried and now had time to work on my car again I had a local machine shop build me a engine I went with what I wanted when I was a kid, that was a 400 sbc so I got that engine done at the machine shop now life takes off.
      4 years go by before I install the engine into the car. Not even a few month go by after I installed the engine. And now my second marriage is ending.
      My son and I move out and I take the car with me of course priorities, and we are in a rental house with a big shop and I had the car in there and had time to finish the engine install and at this time2020 covid came round couldn't get parts that well.
      It wasn't until 2021 when I got to fire this engine in to car for the first time in years. We got it running had it on the road a few times. then I had to move out of the rental because the land lord sold the house I was living in. This was when I moved in with the girl friend at her house with her kid as well we put the Monte Carlo in one of the stalls in the garage.
      Until one day in 2022 when the daughter of my girlfriend somehow drives her car though the garage door and into my Monte Carlo that was on jack stands and the Monte Carlo took the impact from the 25 mph car in the rearend and shoved the car forward and off the jack stands.

So there The Monte Carlo sits waiting for me to redo her again now I am going to get away for the street/strip look and go into the pro touring design and maybe someday will get to take it on the power tour.

Thanks for your time in reading this short version of my car and I life.

-TYLER-

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com