Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Finally finished my 2nd gen front LS1 disc conversion

Well, almost...
      I am sure someone has done this before, but no one confessed when I was asking about putting the LS1 setup on a second gen Camaro. I am a tad stuborn, so decided to do it anyway.

I can now see why people are going for the C5 setup, the LS1 is a VERY tight fit! The fab was fairly easy, the only time consuming part was getting the conversion plate measurements correct.

I ended up using 2x9.5" piece of 1/4" plate and spaced it with washers. The 12mm abutment bolts had to be cut down a tad and I drilled and retapped the spindle mounting holes to 3/8"

The spindle modificaiton is the same as the C5, just cut off the ears above the old dust cover mounting holes. I made my hubs from the stock rotors, just cut off the hat and rotors and had the hubs turned down to fit the LS1 rotors.

Getting the capliper on is not as easy as the stock set-up (did I mention that it was tight?). It required the caliper to be placed over the rotor and then the rotor slid onto the hub. The bolts were then tightened incrementally until the rotor is all the way on.

I ended up with less then $250 in the conversion (still need hoses though), so it was a fairly low cost project.

Country Flag: Turkey
      Hi Brent!

I'm trying to follow your way of conversion to my 74 firebird.
      Do you have pictures of your build? Every little help is much appreciated.
      Being handsome is only skin deep. But Badass goes to the bone.
      Mert Celet

I took a quick look, here are two photos:

Brent

1971 Camaro, LT1, 4L60E

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com