Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by slowcamaro View Post
      How much is a fortune? Ive seen pictures of some Ed Quays that appear to fit quite well, but they were $500+ if I remember correctly.
      the most i've ever spent for a new set of headers was $225 or so for a set of jet Hot coated Dynomax headers about 12 years ago, so anything more than that is a fortune.
      i can't believe that there aren't any good cheap long tubes out there- it is a car that they made 1.5 million of over a 10 year period...
      if i can't buy a set of cheap long tubes that don't drag on the ground, then i'll find a set of used shorties and make then into long tubes- maybe even tri-Y's or something weird like that.
      of course, then i'd have to snake the exhaust over the rear end and past the panhard bar mount on that side of the car, but that might not be too bad..
      i'm not scared of reworking the floor to run a tube down the driver's side- i could tie into the home made subframe connectors i'm dreaming of and use a different trans crossmember/torque arm mount to tie the car together better. that's another thing i want to do- get the torque arm mount off the trans tailshaft.. what the hell was that all about? that would make running different transmissions easier..

why all the trouble? why not? i've never heard a V8 with single exhaust that sounded right- but i do, however, love the sound of a high strung small block with an X pipe and Flowmaster mufflers. that, and it looks stupid as hell having the exhaust run over under the passenger footwell like that..

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Hooker # 2138, full lengths that are bent to follow the same route as the stock Y pipe. I don't know if they offer a Y pipe for it but they're full length. Dr. side sweeps in front of oil pan, pass side sweeps alongside and then outboard like the original pipe.

Duals are possible but space is tight and if lowered a serious diameter will not fit. I managed to cram dual 2.75" pipes under, they run along the pass side and cross over under the TQ arm mount and exit on the drivers side.

The pics where I have it finished didn't come out right (damn camera, the lens shutter stuck so half of the pics was dark)

This is the last pic I have, the 2 pipes go to the side, tuck up close to the floor with tips aiming down a little under the rocker

Country Flag: United States
      wow thats some pipe layin...please post pictures of the finished product.

vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

You guys thought about trying to use oval tubing to save some ground clearance?

It would need to be a pretty flat oval, but it could work. I'm planning to run true duals on my third gen in the near future but for now, I'm in the planning and research phase. I've purchased a pair of Hooker shorties (2460) and I'm trying to figure the best route to the back. I plan on using 2.5" tubing with Magnaflow 4" bullets. I planned modifications to the upper support bar and the panhard bar which isn't a big deal, but the ground clearance is a problem. I'd like to run one side down the drivers side tranny tunnel but it's very close in proximity to the gas/vent lines. I thought of wrapping the lines in heat shielding to temper the problem. After all, they did mount the factory muffler under the gas tank. I think I could get it over the axle without coming into contact with the panhard bar. Thoughts?

Rick Butterfield

That is the last pic I have, all pics of the finished exhaust didn't come out right. The diaphragm stuck and so half of the pics are dark.

Quote Originally Posted by brrymnvette View Post
      You guys thought about trying to use oval tubing to save some ground clearance?
      Stainless oval tubing is impossible to get here and burns is mighty expensive, add shipping and it's downright insane. That's the reason I fabricate my own oval tubing. I was going to use it but ended up not doing it. This is a section of how I fabbed it:

It's simply a section of tubing cut in half lengthwise and 2 sections of sheet tig welded together after squaring it all up as good as possible.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo View Post

It's simply a section of tubing cut in half lengthwise and 2 sections of sheet tig welded together after squaring it all up as good as possible.
      I would imagine bends would be a little more challenging.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Well, curved up and down not so much, I simply split an elbow in half and roll some sheet and weld that in. Sideways...that's where the problem starts LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
      wow thats some pipe layin...please post pictures of the finished product.

vince

I got it finished now:

Nice Work!

Looks fantastic.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

nice work, but why kick it straight over and under the middle of the driver's door? i think that's about the last place i'd want to put the exit of a barely muffled exhaust system..

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
      nice work, but why kick it straight over and under the middle of the driver's door? i think that's about the last place i'd want to put the exit of a barely muffled exhaust system..

Look at the floor pan where the pipes run out the side for your answer.
      Mike

Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
      Look at the floor pan where the pipes run out the side for your answer.
      i see that, but besides being the loudest place to put it, that is going to be the most likely spot to bottom out on things like speed bumps- almost exactly half way between the tires. put the exit back in front of the passenger side tire, and it allows you to run the pipes in next to the driveshaft in the stock location to tuck them up a little bit, and the tips will be less likely to bottom out when they are closer to the tire.

again, good work and all that, but from a practical standpoint that's about the worst place to exit the car.

It's not the most likely to bottom out because I tucked it as high as possible. The tranny pan is lower and yes it occasionally bottoms out.

I tried to make it to the pass side rear tire but there's no room to fir 2 2.75" pipes next and under the driveshaft.

This way the pipes are tucked up as high as possible, I've built ore than a few exhaust systems, I know what works and what doesn't. This should work, and if it doesn't I can always change it.

this worked:

and this:

and this too

Went to the Fred Gibbs Memorial Car Show in Illinois last weekend, little late on pics. On the way up, the fuel pump went out on my Camaro about two hours from my dad's place. I was able to get it changed the next day and still made it to the car show. It's the only car show I go to and it's a chance to hang out with my dad. I ended up winning a class award. Threw some pics from the thirdgen section in as well.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      1989 Camaro RS Flashback

Corey

New third gen guy here.....car is just about all stock but will see some low budget mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblin70SS View Post
      New third gen guy here.....car is just about all stock but will see some low budget mods!

Nice ride man, very clean looking. Is it an original IROC? What kind of mods you thinking about?
      1989 Camaro RS Flashback

Corey

Nice looking IROC man! Whats you plans for mods?
      Brandon Pursley,

Thanks guys!

It's an all original 5.7 IROC, including the paint, interior and motor and the car has 137k on it. It's been a daily driver all its life. The mods will be light, like wheels, tires, brakes and some suspension pieces. Maybe an engine mod or two also. Money is tight as I am just finishing a motor for my Firehawk and just finished a drag radial Chevelle.

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com